| Free of Spoilers: This page contains no spoilers from the events of the games. |
Feel free to read it as much as you please.
The four Holy Beasts (聖獣, seijū) are four colossal beings that carry The Continent on their backs. Though often referred to as the Four Holy Beasts, it seems there may have been more in the distant past.
During the time of creation, Ludo-Rathowm created the Holy Beasts to take charge of gravity control and structural support for the Continent. Though they spend most of their time asleep, they will occasionally stir and send rippling shock-waves throughout the Continent, which result in earthquakes. Since they are technically lower ranked Gods, the Holy Beasts are immensely powerful and capable of piercing the Invincibility Field of Dark Lords. This hardly matters, however, as they do not take part in the world's affairs at all and only serve as its support.
While the bodies of the Holy Beasts are composed of Souls, technically making them alive, they rarely move and act closer to structures than living creatures. On occasion, their skin will flake off into soul particles and end up on the Continent to create Insects. This process also contributed to the formation of a fifth Holy Beast known as Orochi, a soulless snake that ended up becoming responsible for the support of JAPAN and the creation of Youkai.
The Four Holy Beasts Edit
- Lizard (トカゲ, tokage): The Holy Beast that supports the southeastern portion of the Continent. Resembles a Komodo dragon. Roughly the size of the Free Cities and Zeth combined.
- Elephant (ゾウ, zō): The Holy Beast that supports the southwestern portion of the Continent. Resembles an elephant. Roughly the size of two-thirds of the Kayblis Faction's territory.
- Monk (坊主, bōzu): The Holy Beast that supports the northeastern portion of the Continent. Resembles a male humanoid in a meditative pose.
- Fly (ハエ, hae): The Holy Beast that supports the northwestern portion of the Continent. Resembles a horsefly.
The land, now known as JAPAN, was kept afloat thanks to Orochi focusing its energy. After the creation of the Tenma Bridge, Orochi was no longer needed as a foundation of the country, so it fell asleep, creating vast earthquakes as it occasionally shedded its skin. Sacrifices were fed to the Holy Beast to reduce the intensity of these quakes. In the year LP0004, Orochi was felled in battle against the forces of Oda House, finally freeing JAPAN of its influence.
- The concept of the world being supported on the backs of gigantic creatures is derived from a common mytheme present across many cultural mythologies. In particular, the two most prominent Holy Beasts, the lizard and the elephant, seem to be based on the World Elephant and World Serpent featured in Hindu mythology.
- The northeastern and northwestern Holy Beasts have never been depicted in any official artwork of the Continent, and were only revealed by Orion, the lead artist of the Rance Series, via Twitter over a year after the series concluded. According to Orion, he came up with the idea of using a fly while the appearances of all of the other Holy Beasts were chosen by TADA, the series' director. Orion admitted to being shocked by the monk; both for how odd of a choice it was and for how naturally TADA decided on it.